Dermal fillers are used to fill out or plump up lines on the face such as those between the nose and the corner of the mouth, the marionette lines from the corners of the mouth to the chin, to increase mid face volume and can also be used to reduce the appearance of crows feet & forehead lines in those that prefer not to have BOTOX® treatment or as an adjunct to BOTOX treatment. It is also very successful in restoring volume to the lips giving a much more natural appearance and softer feel than the older treatments of collagen.
Dermal fillers are metabolised by the body so the effects are not permanent and whilst this means that repeat treatments are necessary to maintain the appearance, it does remove the risk of permanent unwanted effects such as the infamous “trout pout”, when used to give volume to the lips. Repeat treatments may be necessary every 9 – 12 months.
At Bath Facial Aesthetics we offer a range of dermal fillers from Juvederm although our preferred choice of filler is from the Juvederm Vycross range. Please see the scroll down bar on this page to see find out more and see commonly asked questions.
The cost of treatment depends on the amount and type of filler that needs to be used which, in turn, is dependent on the area treated and the depth of the lines. The price list is a useful guide, however Dr Hamling and Dr Antcliff will advise you, during your initial consultation and prior to embarking on treatment, of the most appropriate treatment for you and the cost for this.
The key ingredient of non-permanent facial fillers is Hyaluronic Acid (HA) – a type of sugar, which occurs naturally in the body and is responsible for maintaining skin volume and elasticity. Normally in the skin HA is broken down within one to two days, and is constantly being replenished; however as we age, this replacement mechanism diminishes and the moisturising and plumping effects of HA decrease. By replacing lost HA, we can regain the skin’s smooth and lifted appearance. The manufacture of Hyaluronic Acid with cross linked chains mean that the injected form of HA does last much longer in the skin than naturally occurring HA. Importantly, HA fillers are fully reversible so can be quickly and easily removed using Hyalase, an enzyme, should there be any need, unlike the older forms of permanent facial fillers such as Collagen.
Bath Facial Aesthetics use mainly uses the Juvéderm® Vycross range of HA facial fillers. This is the number-1 product range on the market, with over 30 years of experience and clinical trials demonstrating excellent safety and efficacy. Juvederm has been used in over 32 million treatments worldwide. It is one of only a small number of fillers that are approved by the FDA in the US and in the UK has the CE mark of approval. These products have a very smooth consistency, which results in less swelling and gives a more natural look and feel. Depending on the area treated, results can last from 12-18 months. The Juvéderm® Vycross range also contains the mild local anaesthetic lidocaine (0.3%), which allows for a gentle injection experience. The Vycross range of facial fillers uses a unique crosslinking technology for longer lasting results and a better lift as it is broken down more slowly by the bodies’ naturally occurring enzyme Hyaluronidase.
The Juvederm Vycross range is a more expensive product to obtain and hence costs more than Juvederm Ultra. The benefits of the Juvaderm Vycross range are as follows:
- Longer-lasting due to its unique make-up of high and low molecular weight HA and cross linked chains (Voluma up to 24 months, Volift up to 15 months, Volbella up to 12 months)
- Better results because it’s easier to shape and mould once injected due to a greater degree of range in the balance of elasticity and cohesivity
- Creates less swelling at the area it’s being injected into due to lower HA concentration drawing less moisture and causing less inflammatory reaction
- Better ability to create lift and projection due to a relatively improved elasticity for each of Voluma, Vycross, and Volbella.
- Long term it can work out cheaper as it lasts longer than other products. For example, Juvederm Ultra is not crosslinked and so can be broken down more rapidly by the body’s own naturally occurring hyaluronidase enzyme.
- The Vycross range has less long term side effects: initially the Juvederm Ultra can appear to achieve a more immediate result because contains more hyaluronic acid in it but this can produce more side effects such as swelling and, very rarely, possible reactions by the body to it causing granulomas (lumps)
Areas dermal fillers can treat include:
- Peri-orbital (around the eye, tear trough, eye bags etc)
- Cheeks, nose-to-mouth lines and jawline
- Lips and around the mouth
Dr Hamling and Dr Antcliff are well known for their ‘less is more’ approach to facial enhancement – their aim is to respect the individuality of your face, whilst helping to enhance your features to restore balance and harmony. The desired result is a healthy, refreshed glow – like after a good night’s sleep or a holiday – not to change dramatically the way you look.
With this in mind, Dr Hamling and Dr Antcliff will advise exactly which Juvéderm® product is best to address your key ageing concerns and to achieve optimal results for your individual needs, such as:
- Restoring youthful facial lift by enhancing cheeks, cheekbones and the chin area that may have become hollow or thin due to weight loss or age-related loss of facial fat pads
- Gently restoring natural-looking lip volume, defining lip contours and treating the corners of the mouth which may have started drooping downwards, the mouth frown
- Smoothing fine ‘barcode’ lines or ‘lipstick bleed’ around the lips and supporting the ‘marionette’ lines down to the chin
- Provide support and improve the shape of deeper skin folds, such as nasolabial lines (from the nose of the mouth corners), temples and brows
The procedure usually takes around 30-45 minutes and results are immediate, long lasting and natural in appearance. Depending on the area treated, you can expect the results to last between 6-18 months.
This will be discussed in your consultation, but generally facial fillers can be used on a wide range of patients as they are primarily used for skin rejuvenation, replacing lost structure and volume in the face, as well as the reduction of lines and wrinkles. However, filler treatments are not suitable if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or undergoing IVF.
As with any medical procedure, there is a risk of unwanted side effects with HA dermal filler treatments. Most side effects are short-lived and often relate to the injection procedure. Following injection, there may be redness, slight swelling, or bruising around the injection site but these usually only last a few days. Bruising can last up to 7 days. Local infection is a rare complication so it is important not to do any injections if you have any active skin infections in the area treated.
|Juvederm Ultra 3 (1.0ml)||£300||£200 per additional 1.0ml|
|Juvederm Ultra Smile (0.5ml)||£250|
|Sculptra per vial||£300|
|Juvederm Volbella (1.0ml)||£350|
|Juvederm Volift (1.0ml)||£350||£250 per additional 1.0ml|
|Juvederm Retouch (0.5ml)||£275|
|Juvederm Voluma (1.0ml)||£350||£250 per additional 1.0ml|
|Juvederm Volite (1.0ml)||£300|
|Juvederm Volite (2.0ml)||£500|
Prices include all anaesthesia